This article focuses on how to improve the performance of Imatest IT testing using configuration (ini file) settings.
Limiting the number of regions used to test, limiting the size of the regions
API Section Settings
Disable messages and figures
nomsg = 1
disable_figs = 1
Settings for Slanted-Edge modules:
SFR, SFRplus, eSFR ISO, Checkerboard, SFRreg
Enable the “speedup” setting, this disables noise & histogram calculations which are probably not necessary for manufacturing tests. Will achieve about a 6% speed increase.
speedup = 1
Enable Luminance (Y) channel-only (single color channel) calculation. This skips the MTF calculations for the RGB channels. [RGBY_value from 1 to 4 calculates all four RGBY channels, emphasizing R, G, B, or Y, respectively). RGBY_value from 5-8 calculates one individual R, G, B, or Y channel.]
RGBY_value = 8
Disable Edge roughness calculations.
edgerough = Min
Disable the Acutance (formerly SQF) calculation if not needed.
anlz_sqf = 0
Turn off outputs you don’t need, keep JSON outputs which are the most useful
saveCSV = 0
saveXML = 0
saveJSON = 1
Beyond INI file settings these are additional ways of speeding up:
- Run multiple tests in parallel using Imatest IT Parallel
- decrease the number of selected SFR regions to a minimum
- disable other calculation settings that are not necessary
- Use the DLL version of Imatest IT instead of the EXE
- Use direct passing of image data in an array instead of a file on disk
- Throw hardware at the problem. Imatest loves to have lots of CPU cores to calculate its Fourier transforms, our 6-core LGA-2011 i7 processors are screaming fast. The more cores the merrier, clock speed is also your friend.